waste management of vegetables in markets?
Question by Neha B: waste management of vegetables in markets?
types of wastes?
methods for its disposal?
measures for improving the environmental conditions of it?
please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answer by Michelle
Some cities have groups who will come to markets and pick up produce that is still fit to eat but unlikely to sell because it no longer looks perfect, these organizations donate this food to homeless shelters.
It is possible for supermarkets to create a place for compost or to donate waste produce to local farmers or community gardens to be composted. This keeps the food out if landfills and can contribute to more fertile soil.
Some of the produce can have the bad parts cut off and the remaining good parts cut up and washed and sold as pre cut and ready to eat, ready for salad. They can also be cut up and packaged together with a mix of veggies appropriate for a particulat recipe with instructions for how to make it (this does create packaging waste, but decreases vegetable waste). I have purchased soup mix that included cut pieces of celery, carrots, potatos, etc. or stir fry mix including zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli etc. this extends the sale time of the parts that remain fresh while the bad spots can be disposed of.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
- Little Tips on Management of Natural Resources
- The Key Account Management Group (KAM) makes it easier to win high value sales using dedicated Key Account Planning software
- Husqvarna Group Plant Receives $10 Million New Markets Tax Credit Loan
- Drilling Waste Management by Services (Solid Control Services, Containment & Handling, Treatment & Disposal) and Applications Global Trends To 2018
- SaaS Markets Predicts 2014 to Be the Year of the Enterprise App Store
- API Management & Mobile Enablement Architectural Best Practices on Tap at QCon International Software Development Conference
- Xangati Raises $11M in Funding Led by HighBar Partners to Bring VDI, Workload and Cloud Performance Management to a Wider Market.
- Significant Environmental Waste Management KPIs
- Sustainable Asset Management intrigues delegates with the Story of Oud at the DANA Timberland Investment Conference in London
- Sustainable Asset Management Creates Institutional Trees